Sunday 29 May 2016

10 years of Postcrossing


Today I started postcrossing. Oh boys, I'm so excited. I already sent out five cards, and there's one more waiting in the bag. 2x USA, Brasil, Iran, Austria (tag) and Germany. This sounded like my cup of tea, so I definitely had to give it a try.

The paragraph above is from my diary, dated on the 29th May, 2006 - 10 years ago.
TEN. YEARS. It's a decade, and I can not believe it. Since that day, there has not been a year that I would have passed without sending at least one postcrossing postcard (I had, of course, been an avid postcard fan a long before discovering postcrossing.com).

These ten years have brought so much good to my everyday life, and I'm not talking only about the cards itself, but mainly about the other people behind them. I have been priviledged and even met a great deal of fellow-postcrossers on the way.  There are lot of people I can call friends, even though we would not have met ever - thanking postcards for that as well.

I'm excited for having been a part of the project for so long - and, hopefully, this is just the start.

Happy Postcrossing!

Yllä oleva tekstipätkä on katkelma päiväkirjamerkinnästäni, joka on päivätty 29. toukokuuta 2006 - siis tasan kymmenen vuotta sitten.
KYMMENEN. VUOTTA. Se on jo vuosikymmen, mitä en voi uskoa. Tuon kyseisen päivän jälkeen ei ole mennyt vuottakaan ilman yhtä ainutta postcrossing-postikorttia (olin toki innokas kortteilija jo paljon ennen postcrossing.comiin eksymistäni).

Nämä kymmenen vuotta ovat tuoneet mukanaan uskomattoman paljon hyvää arkipäiviini - enkä nyt puhu ainoastaan korteista, vaan lähinnä ihmisistä niiden takana. Olen ollut etuoikeutettu saadessani tavata kasvotusten useita kanssa-crossaajia tämän matkani aikana. Ja edelleen kiitos korttien, on olemassa paljon ihmisiä, joita rohkenen kutsua ystäviksi, vaikkemme olisi koskaan tavanneetkaan.

Olen todella innoissani siitä, että olen ollut tässä projekstissa mukana jo näin kauan - ja tämä on toivottavasti vasta alkua.

Happy Postcrossing!

2 comments:

  1. I like this entry. Also I feel that I started something new with Postcrossing, seven years ago (when people complained about too many postcrossers in Finland...). I've met so many people, in real and by snail mail, that all I can be is grateful to this site.

    I'm not sending Postcrossing postcards, or a few of them, since so many get lost (from Morocco). But I think I'll always consider myself a postcrosser,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I remember those times very well... Nowadays I even get addresses of people who have sent/received 50-200 cards, but none to or from Finland! Times change. I also believe I'll stay a postcrossers even if I quitted it at some point - which I can't imagine at the moment.

      May we both have lots of happy years spent with mail!

      Delete